This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 27 October 2009

Never blame the other party

A lousy dancer will often blame the other side when things go 'wrong' (or didn't go the way he wanted).

It's a common problem. It's easy to other people's mistake and not our own.

In my opinion, a REAL good lead, should be able to compensate for the follower's 'mistakes'.

On a social dance floor, it is NOT polite to be teaching (unless she is your student). If we try a move and it doesn't work, we should not blame the other party, or try to teach her what to do.

We should go and think... WHY didn't it work? WHAT can I do to compensate? HOW to execute it better next time?

By doing so, we'll gradually know our move so well, it can work on 'almost' any follower. Of course, this does not apply to certain advance moves which require the follower to be of a certain level. But that's another topic (ladder of moves).

So remember, what something doesn't work,
  • do not be in too big a hurry to blame the other party.
  • Evaluate the situation.
  • Check if it's really beyond her level.
  • Check if there is something you can do to improve it.
  • Check if you're the one who failed to give the right cues on time.
  • Check if there are ways to do it better such that she doesn't need to know the move and can react 'correctly' according to what u want.

We are the lead. We have the 'initiative' and the control. It's easier for us to make changes than to depend having a good follow to dance with u every time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment