This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 27 October 2009

Dance Floor Etiquette

There are lots and lots of things to say here,... I don't think I can cover all in one post, but... will try to put in as much as I can in as little words as I can :)

1) Grooming - Fresh breath (mints), Fresh smell (perfume, deodourants, etc.), fresh clothes (versus wet with sweat) definitely helps A LOT. Towels and fans (those chinese/japanese types) are very useful

2) Hoarding - Don't keep dancing with ONE partner. Or keep asking the same person to dance. It's a very common problem with beginner guys..... they tend to stick to one girl if she was nice enough to help him practice, etc. Salsa scene convention is... usually at most 2 dance before they go look for new partners :)

3) Rejection - If for some reason u need to reject an invitation (using whatever excuse, e.g. tired, don't like the song, etc.), do your best NOT to accept another one during the same song. Otherwise it would look really rude and bad on the guy who was rejected. Just wait for the next song.

4) Space control - Find your own line/space. Do NOT invade other people's space. I know it's difficult for beginner to control space usage, but TRY your best. If the floor is too crowded, ... WAIT for the next song and grab your space quickly. There are idiots out there who won't respect your space. If you meet such people, please do not use your girl as a mine sweeping tool. Take care of her, and use your back to guard your space.

Err, there's lots more... I'll add when I remember :P

No comments:

Post a Comment