This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Wednesday 28 October 2009

Dont reinvent the wheel

Many ambitious beginner learner leads wants to immediately go develop their own style.

Well, they can do it, but IMO, it's not the most 'effort efficient' way to go about doing it.

Just like what we always say, 'Dont reinvent the wheel', it applies to salsa as well!
With Youtube, it's very easy to find the kind of style that you like (and more important SUIT you).
From there COPY and... once you've mastered the copied moves, ADAPT them to suit you.

Once you've built enough of a vocabulary of styles, you will be more equiped to come out with a unique style of you own.

It's always easier to follow a trail than be the trail breaker, that's why team biking and migratory birds all draft behind a lead .... with the whole team taking turns to be the lead.

The concept is similar, save your energy by following and copying, and when u're reached the pointe, it's time for youself to take the lead.

Talking about copying, it's important to find a right 'model'. Tall 'long' people should not find 'stout' models and vice versa. It's kind of obvious but ... LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment