This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Planting

My style of lead, had been called 'planting' by my dance kakis.

Why planting? Coz I literally 'plant' the girl's foot at where I want it to land.

What's so good about 'planting'? Well, for one, you need to be VERY precise in your control.

It gives the girl NO DOUBT on where she needs to go. She in turn don't have to worry so much about guessing what u wanted her to do --> Thus she could spend more of her time thinking of how to style and look good!

This skill is also needed to execute quite a lot of advance moves, (some often classified as bastard moves due to changing of direction/momentum every count).

Planting also looks more assertive and macho in my opinion, and definitely looks better on stage and performances.

What's the opposite of planting? In my opinion, it's the soft guiding style. Just guide the girl,... and let her decide where she wants to go :) It has a very different look and feel. I've tried it out, definitely nice and smooth and very flowy. But.... usually works (well) only with advance girls.

This brings fore another advantage of planting,... it's amazing on beginner follows. They would suddenly be amazed why they can do so many wonder patterns and spin so many rounds and do such wonderfully straight traveling turns :) Get it right and all those follows will be asking you for many many more dance.

Unfortunately, planting doesn't work with one kind of follow.... those who simply want to do their own stuff :P If you meet such follows, just use the guiding style and let them do what they want, kekeke.

Now the important part... how to do 'planting'? Kekeke, I'll write that in another post :P

No comments:

Post a Comment