This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Monday 7 June 2010

Choreo Tips - Disguising the prep for Big Moves

Borrowing from what I've learnt when I was judging Figure Skating.....

There are big moves that look impressive. And usually these big moves needs some Prep (preparation) and wind ups.

The difference between skaters executing the same moves often lies in how well can they disguise the prep and surprise the audience for Maximum impact.

i.e. slow slow slow... steady pace and regular moves.... suddenly.. BOOM, one huge move right in your face. And Audience get WOW-ed coz they didn't expect it.

The same can apply to salsa. Both in Choreo and regular dancing. Don't pack your whole dance with one big/complex move after another. It makes the dance look boring and ordinary even when the moves are advance level moves.

It's always a good idea to do simple stuff (and style), enjoy the music, until some key points in the song (so called accents or strong melody segments), then BOOM, throw in the impressive looking complex move to fit the music. Once the move is completed, don't forget to MILK IT by POSING properly (usually on count 8 if you're dancing On1).

The overall contrast by doing so can make the dance much much more dynamic and interesting to look at and more fun as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment