This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Learn to lead .... by following

YQ managed to learn my style of leading and leeched most of my moves simply by following.

She adopted the 'best practice' based on the various leads she had danced with and took all the techniques that worked.

Similarly, she also borrowed the worst ... and use them to help train the girls how to follow. Why so? This is to train the girls NOT to depend on the lead, and let them be able to keep their balance and poise no matter how bad the lead and how they are 'thrown around'!

When your lead is 'mature' to a level, it'll help a lot to try following. You'll be able to appreciate the girl's footwork, problems, etc. better. And thus be able to help compensate for the girl even more

But this only works... if your lead is 'mature' enough not to become confused with too many other things. There are guys whose movement became really sissy when they tried following too early, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment