This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Independent Arm Movement

A move done by advanced dance and a beginner dancer can look very different. Very often, beginners and most intermediate dancers couldn't tell what made the difference....

One of the factors or tricks used by advance dancers is ... FAST independent movement of their arms.

1) When one arm of moving, KEEP the other parts of the body still
2) One when that move is completed then start on the other arm.

The impact of the above, ... makes the moves look extra sharp AND complicated. And in order to achieve it, it will often require VERY fast and accurate movement.

e.g. doing a Sombrero in rueda, it is very easy to turn the girl with both arms. But a more impressive way of doing it, is to turn with the right arm (open the girl up to face centre), then turn the left arm (close her position and turn further), then complete the move with both arms and comb.

One small change and the entire move looks different and much more impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment