This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Monday 22 November 2010

Practice-in-Secret Syndrome

There are many learner dancers who like to practise in 'secret'. They don't like people to see them being bad, and only want to show off AFTER they think they've mastered something.

Well, I'm not sure how this mindset came about. Is it Pride? Ego? Face? Whatever the reason is, it’s NOT a good thing.

Why? Unless the learner is so talented that he can spot his own mistakes, doing so would often lead him into practising mistakes to the extent that it'll take much extra effort to unlearn them later!

In some dance schools where the teachers are always around to watch and help, one should take advantage of this and dance right in front of them.


Also, sometimes all you need is just ONE small tip from the instructor to help you get a breakthrough at some points where you were stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment