This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Monday 22 November 2010

Bastard Moves

There is a type of turn pattern that is often referred to as Bastard moves.

Typically, these turn patterns will move the girls in very unconventional directions and counts.
Not only that, it also often involves CHANGING the direction of turn EVERY count!

Thus the girls need to be really alert in order to follow them nicely. Note --> NICELY

Why?

Coz, if the lead is a good 'planter', the follow doesn't really need to know what's happening :)
She'll be flyng and turning all over the dance floor executing moves that she doesn't even know about or have any idea what she looks like while under the control/guidance of the lead.

I've successfully used a series of such moves on beginners who knows how to shift their weight by the count (that's the only real requirement). But it only came with LOTS of practice!!

Also, bastard moves will feel less 'bastard' if the lead knows how to lead early. Those who lead too late will often fail or make it look ugly..

BTW, use such moves sparingly coz it can be quite a scary roller coaster ride for the girls :P

No comments:

Post a Comment