This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 19 October 2010

"What can I do to get girls to want to dance with me over and over again?"

This is not written by me, but it's what I do as well (except the smell nice part, kekek, maybe I should start using those perfume/cologne that Deffy gave me P). Earlier posts by me (e.g. ladder of moves) can help to achieve some of the points listed too.

VERY useful tips for all leads. Written by Jocelyn (Addicted2Salsa) in response to an email query.

Jocelyn's:

When it comes to what a follow likes in a lead, I think everyone is different. With that said, here's a few things that I prefer:

  • Quality over quantity. I'd rather do the 6 moves you really know than the 26 you just learned and haven't worked on yet. In every song, I think it's fair to throw in a couple of new moves you're trying out, but I want the lead to make me feel comfortable and relaxed, and that means being sensitive to what you can and cannot smoothly lead.
  • Be gentle, but clear. I like a lead that is firm enough to be understandable (no spaghetti arms), but not so stiff that I feel like I'm being dragged around. I think the job of the lead is to indicate what moves he wants and provide me some stability, direction and sometimes momentum, not to force me through the motions.
  • I like a lead who tailors the dance to what I am capable of. Especially as a beginner and intermediate dancer, I always hated it when leads tried to get me through combo after combo that I was clearly having trouble with. Push me a little (I like a challenge), but don't make me feel bad about myself because I stumble through all your moves.
  • Dress simply. Neat, clean is all I ask, and please make sure whatever you're wearing doesn't hit me (gold chains, jackets/blazers that flap around, wrist watch...)
  • Smell nice. Deodorant and a small amount of cologne, if you want.
  • Leave some time for shines/footwork. A whole song of combo after combo can be tiring - let me have a few 8-counts to show my stuff and interpret the music the way I want, plus you get a chance to think of some more moves.
  • Smile! Hey, this is fun, right?

Be well,



Jocelyn (addicted2salsa co-host)

Link to original post from FB here

No comments:

Post a Comment