This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Shines (and Sabor)

Sabor means 'flavour'.
Why learn shines?

There are many good salsa songs that have sections which are simply not suitable for turn patterns. There will typically be parts where you "have to" do Afro Rhumba moves, or shines.

If course, u can still ignore it and do turn patterns, but it just doesn't feel right musically.

This is especially so when you've developed your dancing to be able to interpret the music and know what musicality is about.

Thus it is important to learn shines.

Beside the above, shine also gives Leads a VERY good way to improve their styling. Subconsciously, their body movement learnt from shines will creep into their posture, etc. when doing partnerwork. This will make them look a lot better when doing patterns!

Breaking in shines is also another level of leading, which goes beyond hand contact.... it's goes into play with music, visual contact with your partner, etc. Stuff which are really hard to describe with words, you simply gotta see it with your own eyes to understand.

If I can find a suitable video, I'll post here to illustrate this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment