This blog was started, because I've come to realize that I've been telling my students a lot of things. Useful experience, lessons that I've learnt the hard way, etc. while teaching Salsa.

All those stuff were never properly recorded. I did write some articles but I guess they were lost in some obscure corner now.

Hopefully with this blog, .... those information/tips can be put to better use.

(also, please pardon my broken English / Singlish.... I prefer to be 'informal' when writing, hopefully people can still understand what I'll be writing. I hope none of these posts sound too obnoxious or arrogant. Do feel free to post your comments as well. :P)

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Obsession with new moves

A very common problem with new salsa leads, is the obsession to learn new moves.

Why do I call this a problem? Shouldn't they learn as much as possible?

Well, it's a good thing to improve one's vocabulary of moves.

BUT, and a VERY BIG BUT... what's the point of learning so many moves when you cant do ANY of them well?

I still remember during the early days of my salsa learning.... I was very concerned about being able to finish a song and not running out of moves.

Well.... that was until a famous dance instructor (female, follower) told me.... the follow couldn't be bothered if u repeat some stuff. They would be too busy showing off, kekeke.

Yah, ITS OK TO REPEAT YOUR MOVES!

In my opinion, leads should
1) learn a set of moves,
2) practice hard until they 'internalize' them. (i.e. muscle memory and can do with fast music)
3) After that, then add a new set
4) Go to step (2)

Many leads often skip the VERY IMPORTANT step (2) in their obsession with new moves.

Be patient... we have a whole life of dancing ahead. There are thousand and one moves to learn :) It's not possible to learn and remember all of them, kekeke.

In a social dance setting, it's better to lead simple moves well, rather than try too many complicated stuff and fail badly. (or worse, fail even at the simple stuff coz of lack of practice)

Just for illustration purposes. This youtube link is a BASIC RUEDA performance. It's one of my fav, because, only VERY basic and VERY simple moves are used and often repeated quite a number of times. Yet it still looks very nice! Why? Coz EVERYBODY in the circle can do all the moves really well. Simple moves FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment